Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Applesauce, anyone???


In October, I bought 15 boxes of apples. Nothing screams Christmas like making applesauce...note to self...make applesauce in the fall and not in December.


I made several jars of apple butter (in November), Scott made about 40 bottles last week (November) and my mom...ahh, my sweet mom... came down today and helped me do 100 quarts of applesauce. (that is 25 gallons of applesauce...pork chops anyone :) ). We only have two boxes left that I'm hoping the kids will eat and I'm planning to make pie filling.

I love making applesauce. The smell reminds me of my Great Grandma Hale (Udy) house. I feel a connection to the past since this tradition has been done each year for generations (probably not in December). I did buy a new sieve that attaches to my Kitchen Aid (an early Christmas gift) so I did not have to crank it...hope Grandma Hale is okay with me simplifying the project :) The Kitchen Aid attachment was so nice to use...my arm did not get the typical work out.

All of the kids loved helping. My scouts even made a jar to take home. Love my calling as Webelos leader and love the boys. And, love my mom...thanks so much!!!

2 comments: